HOPE LEANS FORWARD
Braving Your Way Toward Simplicity, Awakening and Peace
A unique synthesis of Buddhist and Quaker wisdom and mindfulness, centering real-life BIPOC experiences of transformation that inspire and challenge.
Simple, accessible, brave-making practices to move you from identity crisis to confidence.
Available November 2022
Daily we are called toward bravery, to stretch in the direction of kindness, generosity, vulnerability, and authenticity. Yet life’s tender fragility, fear, and uncertainty can derail us from growing and thriving, leaving us stuck, fractured, and constantly second guessing ourselves.
How can we gain greater self-awareness and bravery to break these patterns?
HOPE LEANS FORWARD will help you:
- Choose bravely when conditions are uncertain and ambiguous.
- Address anxiety to support deeper self-understanding and self-love.
- Feel grounded at home, hybrid workspace, or office.
- Align your values with your work for a greater sense of purpose and meaning.
- Cultivate clarity through body intelligence and body awareness.
- Listen for connection instead of control and correction.
- Sustain calm through fear, anger, and pressure.
- Examine unconscious patterns that hold you back.
- Savor the radical rest you deserve.
FREE GIFTS WITH YOUR PREORDER
Every preorder of Hope Leans Forward comes with these free, brave-making resources from Valerie:
Hope Leans Forward
This e-journal was created to accompany your reading journey – to capture your reflections and support skillful choices to be your best self.
Mindful Breathing Practice
Guided 20-minute audio meditation
Pause, rest, exhale deeply.
Restore calm and balance.
HERE’S HOW TO CLAIM YOUR GIFTS:
Preorder Hope Leans Forward from your local bookstore or vendor below.
Get the receipt / order #
from your purchase.
Fill out the form below to receive your gifts by email.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT HOPE LEANS FORWARD:
“Valerie Brown writes as a Buddhist-Quaker grounded in her practice of Kundalini Yoga. The end result is an excellent example of how the practice of interreligious dialogue more often than not expands expand one’s faith journey in unexpected and creative ways.”Paul Ingram
The Society for Buddhist-Christian Studies
THE MINDFUL SCHOOL LEADER
Practices to Transform Your Life and School
Big results come from small steps.
Written with school leaders in mind, this inspirational yet practical handbook teaches you how to add mindfulness into your day, bit by bit, whether you are sitting in your office or walking down the hall. With mindfulness, you will get better at managing meetings, responding creatively to complex situations, and achieving resilience―you will become a more effective leader and a more positive force for your staff and students. Features include:
- Real-life profiles of mindful school leaders
- Practice exercises to try right away
- Guidance so you know if you are “doing it right”
- Hard-to-find resources, including mindfulness apps
THE ROAD THAT TEACHES
Lessons in Transformation through Travel
Not your average travel guidebook.
This book explores some of the world’s great pilgrimages, destinations, and the author’s reflections on the lessons she learned from them. Read this book to discover how travel can be transformational, how to be more mindful while traveling and every day, the adventures of traveling alone, the delights of encountering new people and places, ancient pilgrimage journeys and sacred travel worldwide. Written from the perspective of a Buddhist Quaker spiritual teacher, Valerie Brown, who has a knack for capturing life’s wonders in words.
CULTIVATING HAPPINESS, RESILIENCE & WELL-BEING
Through Meditation, Mindfulness & Movement
In chaotic times, a deep breath can bring calm to your classroom.
With the uncertainty and anxiety of the global pandemic, gun violence, racial injustice, and climate crisis, it’s more important than ever to make your classroom a place that supports mental health and improves wellness. With this practical, research-based guide, you’ll incorporate age- and grade-appropriate meditation, breathing, mindfulness, and secular yoga activities into your teaching, in ways that work for in-person as well as virtual and hybrid settings.
- Adaptations for special populations, including those who have experienced trauma
- Recommendations for family involvement in social emotional learning
- Guidance on self-care for teachers and school staff
- Data from successfully implemented programs
- Dozens of illustrations, QR codes, and reflective questions